Roshi Productions

Monday, March 25, 2013

Graffiti Art: The Wynwood Walls

Extending and expanding on themes I've written about in the past is always a pleasure, so I was very excited when artist and blog reader, Karen Polin, contacted me about a graffiti art exhibit she recently saw in Miami.


The Wynwood Walls is a public graffiti art exhibition that was featured as part of Art Basel in Miami. The idea was conceived by community revitalizer Tony Goldman in 2009. He wanted to transform the Wynwood warehouse district in Miami by making the walls giant canvases for street art. Goldman wanted to activate the community by making a centralized location where pedestrians could gravitate to, explore and be inspired. Certainly, the colors, designs and consideration of space & place (and people) into these pieces are mesmerizing.








As a pedestrian and commuter, I'm always delighted to see public works of art while walking or taking the train. I remember seeing The Gates in Central Park in 2005, and I always feel an exciting sense of discovery when I see public art (sculptures, graffiti art, light art) now. Thanks to Karen for photographing and telling me about this great work of public art.