Roshi Productions

Monday, October 29, 2012

Deconstruction, Squirrels, and the Pixel

I'm interested in the tradition of Glitch Art and also aesthetics in which the artworks are aware of how they are constructed. In painting, awareness of the medium derives from the presence of the brush stroke. However, in digital media, that comes from an awareness and perhaps even a foregrounding of the pixel. 

I was reviewing some photographs of Danny's and my XC road trip this summer and came upon a photograph in which the subject we were capturing was out of focus (in this case, it was a squirrel that made the most wretched of noises). The fact that the subject was out of focus inspired me to investigate the photo further, which resulted in me examining the photo closer and closer and closer, until all that was visible was pixels. Perhaps this could be seen as a metaphor for how scrutiny results in abstraction.

Here is the progression of my scrutiny, but backwards.