Roshi Productions

Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Unexpected in Spaces&Places

I try to pay attention to the environment and activity around me. It helps me stay engaged and oriented to my task, or my role in my task. Recently, I've found some unexpected things in common places. By common places, I mean locations that I am simply using to get from point A to point B, or a place that is known to be a common gathering location. These places aren't art galleries or museums. And yet, I find (or I suppose it could be that I am projecting) an artistic sensibility and theory to them. I've given titles and dates to the "works" I have found (perhaps legitimatizing them as art - which brings us back to the ol' debate about 'What is art?')

Here are two examples:

Barcode Light, in the stairway of a temple, 2012

Mother's Room, in the basement of an university, 2012